Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dynamically insert keywords in ALT element 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

milo3169

Programmer
May 2, 2007
Hello,

I am not an SEO pro, but I want to do some of the basics of SEO to my website. I have a page of thumbnails that is dynamically created. I want to add keywords to the ALT element in the IMG tag. The number of thumbnails can differ on the page, so I was thinking of writing a script to dynamically insert the keywords into the ALT element. The script would randomly insert the keywords from a array of 3 - 5 keywords that pertain to that page.

My question is, would the search engines index the page the same way as if the keywords were statically placed?

The search spider has no way of knowing how the actual text of the 'alt' actually got there, however don't do something that would be considered spamming the search engine.

Good, so it's safe to do that. No, I am not going to do something that would be considered spamming. I just want to add a keyword to each 'alt' when the thumbnails are dynamically created.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

Hi,

It is good to do this, but will the ALT tages change each time the page is loaded? So same image but different ALT tage on each page refresh?

It might be better to have the same keyword appear for the same image.

Computer repairs in London rebootthat.com

ALT attributes do not matter that much. Focus on url ,title and contents

Remember that the search engine crawlers can't see your images. The only thing that they can go by is the text. Instead of "keyword stuffing", try writing a short statement describing the image using natural language. Google especially is sensitive about and good at detecting things that look "spammy".

One technique to see how your page looks to a crawler is to load it in Lynx, which is a text only browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back