Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dynamic Windows Server 2003 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fendal

Technical User
Sep 13, 2005
GB
Hi all,

I have a site running on windows server 2003 connected to a dynamic I.P address, currently zoneedit.com are taking care of the DNS servers, but, on rare occasions when I have to restart after downloading updates and so on my I.P will change, which means I need to login to zoneedit and update the change of my I.P, this isn't really much of a problem as I say it is on rare occasions. My question is, is there away I can set windows server 2003 up so that I can stop using zoneedit altogether and have the newly assigned I.P automatically set to my domain name. ?

Bearing in mind I don't know a great deal about DNS at the moment, I'm really just looking for a yes/no answer and if yes maybe a link or two to a site that could enlighten me.

Thanks Alot.

Right on zoneedit's home page there is info on dynamic dns. Download one of their dynamic update clients and install it.

Thanks, Togatown, That will work great for now, although one of the reason I wanted to bypass zoneedit altogether is that in a few months time I was considering buying 20 to 30 domains which will be linked to one site. zoneedit offers the DNS for the first three domains free an then you purchase any additional ones after that, so it maybe more cost-effective if I could do it myself, and yet keep all the domain together so that I wouldn't have to update the I.P 20 to 30 times.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back