Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dynamic vs Static IP Addresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohuett

MIS
Jul 26, 2001
US
I work in a company that has about 270 PC's and about 100 more on the way in the next few months. In the past, we've always used DHCP to assign IP Addresses but are considering switching to using Static IP Addresses b/c of one application being affected if the PC's IP adress changes unknowingly. I'm curious, which do you use in your network (static or dynamic) and what do you see as the pros/cons of Static vs Dynamic IP addresses? Specifically regarding security, management, and ease of documentation.

Thanks in advance.

If you have sufficient IP addresses for every desktop and network device, then DHCP will normally allocate the same IP address everytime the device is switched on.

Managing IP addresses for 350+ desktops and network devices isn't a simple task. Stick to DHCP if you can: maybe if you talked to the developers of the application affected they have a solution for you. Tell them it is the 21st Century and keeping a leger of IP addresses is archaic!

Regards: tf1

The closest I would go to static IP's would be DHCP reservations. You get the benefits of a static address, but still it's easy to push out new DNS / gateway addresses, etc...

Andy Leates MCSE CCNA MCP+I

Our company uses dynamic for all the desktops, dynamic with MAC reservations for printers, and static for network devices and servers.

When a new machine comes online it makes life so much easier to just allow DHCP to assign an IP and it dynamically update DNS. We have a dynamic.company-local.com zone that they are all put in.

I think managing 370 IP's that if changed will not cause an issue would be a nightmare. I can understand if an application needs the same IP each time, then you have a reason. But even then maybe doing reservations might be easier.

Obviously there are PROS/CONS for using static vs. reservations. PRO: you can manage it all from one location and don't have to visit the desktop if you need an IP changed. CON: if you change a network card you need to create a new reservation. (which after a while can get tedious if people aren't cleaning out old ones)

I guess luckly we don't have any application issues with changing IP's. We base everything off the FQDN so DNS will handle that part of it dynamically. But I couldn't/wouldn't imagine doing that many computers with static IPs.

I have been part of too many migrations and new implementations where visiting every desktop is need and having to change IP's because of a new IP range would be such a PITA.

my $.02

-Matt

also could you imagine if a DNS, WINS, gateway, RIS, or some other similar type of server were to change IP's, or even just to add a seconday DNS server you would have to visit EVERY desktop.

I could not agree more with Andy

-Matt

DHCP with selective reservations. No question about it.

Thanks to everyone for responding. You have given us alot of info to think about. We think we might have found an alternative way to setup our application where it won't have negative affects if IP addresses change without notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back