Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dynamic Trunking Protocol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dane0554

IS-IT--Management
Jun 6, 2006
US

I'm trying to understand Dynamic Trunking Procotol better and I don't have real switches to play with.

If a port is set to On the doc's I have say that the other port, no matter what it settings, goes to trunk mode. Is this correct?

What happens if the other port is set to no? Does it result in a stalement with no trunking?

Thanks,
Dan

Dan,

It has to be setup as a trunking port - DTP is Dynamic Trunking Protocol, a Cisco proprietary protocol in the VLAN group, and is for negotiating trunking on a link between two devices and for negotiating the type of trunking encapsulation (802.1Q) to be used. The "Dynamic" part is it will automaticly

But, both ends of a trunk cable had better agree they're trunking, or they're going to be interpreting trunk frames as normal frames and will not know what to do with the trunking header info.

Here are the different modes -
Mode and what the Mode Does

on - Forces the link into permanent trunking, even if the neighbor doesn't agree

off - Forces the link to permanently not trunk, even if the neighbor doesn't agree

desirable - Causes the port to actively attempt to become a trunk, subject to neighbor agreement (neighbor set to on, desirable, or auto )

auto - Causes the port to passively be willing to convert to trunking. The port will not trunk unless the neighbor is set to on or desirable . This is the default mode. Note that auto-auto (both ends default) links will not become trunks.

nonegotiate - Forces the port to permanently trunk but not send DTP frames. For use when the DTP frames confuse the neighboring (non-Cisco) 802.1q switch. You must manually set the neighboring switch to trunking.

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back