Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dynamic Shared Variable Naming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcrawford08

Technical User
Nov 19, 2008
US
Hi All,

Working with CR 2008 on a SQL server.

Essentially I have two reports that show financial calculations for the same metrics, the report consumer wants to see all the data in a singular report. Unfortunately because of the diverse table structures between the two, placing it all within the same report has been challenging.

Since they would like the information summarized as the following:

Tax ID

I was hoping to insert the second report into the first one as a subreport, then used shared variables to get totals from both reports summarized.

My questions is this: will I have to use a subreport at the most detailed level (provider), or will I be able to place a single subreport in the report header and then dynamically assign shared variables based on TaxID-Location-Provider combination.

I have concerns, due to the volume of the report, that having a subreport at each provider to sum provider information would be fairly taxing to the report performance. I haven't heard of anyone dynamically naming (and subsequently calling out) shared variables, but in this scenario, if we could, it would amount to some huge processing gains.

Any ideas as to an alternate approach would also be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

-jcrawford-

Not in word only, but in deed also... 1Jn3:18

If you can write things in SQL, you could merge data from two different sources in an SQL Command. Crystal could then read it as a single file and report it as such.

Note that it's best to collect all relevant data in your SQL Command, even though you can link it to tables in most recent versions of Crystal.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Crystal 2008 with SQL and Windows XP [yinyang]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back