Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dynamic selection in cascading prompts

Status
Not open for further replies.

santoo66

Technical User
Sep 13, 2011
Hi all
I am having a requirement like while using the cascading prompt i want the report to run for a default selection...
Created cascading prompt for product type and product name...
If i select a value at runtime from product type...the report should run for one default value product name .....

You can add a static choice (see collections) to a prompt and assign this as default value. Do you mean that?

Ties Blom

I am having cascading prompt on Product line and product type...for product type source is product line.
At run time i will select one value from Product line say for example 'Camping Equipment' and then automatically the product type should take a default value for example 'Cooking Gear'(which is one of the type of Camping Equipment)....and report should run...
Like this for every value of product line there should be corresponding default value of Product type..and report should run i.e.. display putput..
Thanks in advance

On what logic would you base the default? If no logic applies then it would be a matter of fetching one sole row for the second prompt and setting auto-submit to yes

Ties Blom

the second prompt should be automatically selected to one default value(product type) of corresponding selection in first prompt(product line)

1 productline may relate to numerous producttypes. My question was how you determine the default value? At random, or based on some kind of logic?

If at random then it is a matter of ALWAYS fetching 1 row for the second prompt query, for instance by defining a running-count(1) and using this as a filter

Ties Blom

Well, then I have 'painted the picture' :)

Ties Blom

Here i am unable to fetch the first row(product type) for the corresponding selection in Product line
Can u please tell me more briefly how to implement this

It is not a matter of fetching the first row, but simply fetching 1 row. Add a counter like running-count(1) and use this as an after aggregate filter

Ties Blom

Hi
here the user after selecting a product line the report should run for default value(may be first or last or anything) of corresponding product type and afterwords he should able to view other product types of corresponding product line if he wants.i am attaching the specification using Gosales package

Thanks in advance

http://www.mediafire.com/?bvsjhkafj7bd4gv
Sounds like a candidate for a pass-through report. You pass the value of the productline to a childreport that shows the associated producttypes..

Ties Blom

If you are reporting from a dimensional model, use one of the dimensional functions. firstchild([Camping Equipment]) will return the first child. You might try FirstChild(currentmember([productline hierarchy])).

I'm not sure what the hierarchy name is, but this may work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back