Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dynamic Queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zequel

Programmer
Dec 13, 2002
US
After years of dealing with Access queries, I've found, sometimes, the best way to set query criteria is with a custom function.
Let's say we have a query that needs a beginning date that's stored in a table that's called tblReportCriteria.
All I want is that one date (the table is a single-row table) which is stored in the BegDate field to use in my query.
The custom function is below:

Function ReportBegDate() As Date
Dim db As DAO.Database
Dim rst As DAO.Recordset
Set db = CurrentDb
Set rst = db.OpenRecordset("tblReportCriteria", dbOpenSnapshot)
If rst.EOF = False Then
If IsDate(rst!BegDate) Then ReportBegDate = rst!BegDate
End If
rst.Close
db.Close
End Function

Now, I can use ReportBegDate() as a value in my criteria line in the query builder. This method is very quick for returning a single value but you can also use it to return a value based on a row's data if you give the function a parameter i.e. ReportBegDate(ID As Product). In this case it may slow down your query.

Z,

Nice. I don't know that I've ever used a function as a criteria. One thing, though--I'd make sure to pull just the field you need, not all of the fields of the table. That will make it even faster.

Jeremy =============
Jeremy Wallace
Designing, Developing, and Deploying Access Databases Since 1995

Take a look at the Developers' section of the site for some helpful fundamentals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back