Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dynamic prompt in report stusio? Urgent*** 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejaycognos

Technical User
Dec 4, 2007
US
Here is the scenario ..
Level 1 (Required Prompt)-> Level 2(Required Prompt)-> Level 3 -> Level 4 -> Level 5 -> Level 6
High Level -> Low Level

In a crosstab with multiple measures , If the user selects Level 3 prompt, the o/p should group by Level 3 and in o/p shows Level 4.

If a user slects Level 4 prompt , the o/p should group by Level 4 and display the o/p from Level 5.

In short , need to create a dynamic prompt.Forget about the group by as it is crosstab it will automatically be grouped.

Now to do this dynamic prompt , should I need to create a conditional variable?

Thanks so much

A conditional variable is used to conditional render blocks , pages and such or to apply a certain formatting to an object.
It would be perhaps easier to conditionally render 1 out of a set of pages (or 1 page with sets of crosstabs in blocks) depending on parameter value of the prompts.

You can add a fixed value 'all choices' to each prompt with use value '0' and filter data accordingly.

Ties Blom

I created the prompts for all 5 levels and before created a conditional string variable , do I need to create static choices.

could you please explain the steps , ejaycognos@gmail.com.
I have worked with only hide and show objects , these conditional variables are bit confusing going thru few docs but they are in general.

Thanks

Depending on the data displayed in the prompts you can:

1. Add a static choice (somewhere in the prompt properties)

Say the use value is a numerical value <> 0 , then you can add a static choice with use value 0 and display value 'All values'

2. In the data query (that uses the prompt parameter) add a filter:

[somedataitem] in ?parameterlevelx? or ?parameterlevelx? = 0

If the user then select the static choice in a prompt, then it will effectively serve as a bypass to the filter (all values are selected)

Ties Blom

I am sorry I was wrong in my question.. I need dynamic row to be displayed in the output based upon the prompt value selected ...

This is acheived using a prompt calculation and put it in the row field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back