Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dynamic Movable questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 16, 2003
US
I am just beginging to really delve into web development.
Of course I see how google allows you to customize your presonal page and move the content around on the screen.
My assumption is that this is done with AJAX. Am I correct?
Not knowing much about AJAX the javascript is what would drive the movable content?
I am jsut not sure where to look or what to search for to fin out more information on this subject.
Thanks for any help

Yep, or a nice alternative to AJAX is Macromedia Flex,

It's more flash based but is great for 3 Tier projects ... i've only just started looking at it but its definatyly somthing to look at for the future.

Rob

AJAX: Asynchronous Javascript And XML.

It is NOT what makes it possible to move objects around the screen on Googles personalised home page. This is just DHTML: Javascript + DOM + Events.

AJAX is used to talk to the server without refreshing the page, using (surprisingly) Javascript to send XML messages back and forth asynchronously while the user continues to view the same page (it can be done synchronously too if desired). This can then use the information to update the page with new information - e.g. refresh RSS feeds, via the DOM.

In regards to moving the elements around... Javascript can manipulate the DOM interactively, and hence the ability to make objects like DIVs move around based on events (such as mouse movements, clicks etc) - but you don't need to talk to the server or use XML to do this - just javascript, the relevant events and the DOM.

Ajax links:

DHTML Links:

Read those first.. buying a book on Ajax seems a bit of a waste of money, it is a pretty simple concept in of itself - as long as you understand general DOM, Javascript, XML and client server concepts.

If you don't understand these, first look at the (massive) online knowledge base for these technologies (the internet... is a good basic learner site to start on), if that doesn't quench your thirst then buy a book specifically on these subjects, and you will be much better off IMHO.

A smile is worth a thousand kind words. So smile, it's easy! :)

GREAT CAESAR'S GHOST!!!
That's a lot of information.
Thanks.
[Does anyone have the matrix implant so i can just download this stuff directly to my brain :)]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back