Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dynamic ip

Status
Not open for further replies.

sureshp

Programmer
Aug 28, 2000
I wanted to connect my sun box to a router to connect to the internet.But my router is configured such that it allocates an ip dynamically to the machines connecting to it.I tried to provide a static ip in the same subnet in which the router allocates its ip and tried to connect to the internet through the router.But it did not connect.Can you help me out with a way such that my sun box can accept a dynamic ip or can connect to the internet thro' the router.

Hope I am clear.

Thanks in advance.

Hi sureshp,
what do you mean with "static ip"? If "ip" means "ip address" it seems that your router acts like a dhcp server? Is there anybody you can ask?
Usually routers don't provide dhcp services.

Michael.

i guess u are suing the dsl service , in that case i guess as u say the dsl router acts as a dhcp server too. so u must turn on dhcp services on ur NIC.configure ur network card for DHCP.and gice the DHCP server as ur dsl routers address.
hope this helps.
sendhil

i guess u are using the dsl service , in that case i guess as u say the dsl router acts as a dhcp server too. so u must turn on dhcp services on ur NIC.configure ur network card for DHCP.and gice the DHCP server as ur dsl routers address.
hope this helps.
sendhil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back