Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dynamic disk VS Basic disk / FAT32 and NTFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocco

IS-IT--Management
Oct 30, 2001
CA
I have mirror 2 separate hardrives SATA via my ASUS mother board. MS XP32 and MSXP64 OS sit on a separate Basic hardrive that is connected via EDI. In the future I may install some other OS for testing on the single hardrive.

My question is on the two mirror hardrives that I have.
Should I go Basic or Dynamic. After this should I partition using Fat32 or NTFS.

The mirror drives will be used for just storing raw,jpeg,and other media files as more project come my way.

What combination would be optimal for my purposes?
I am thinking of basic as I would be able to remove the drive and connected to any other PC but not sure, thinking of speed also.

Thank you for opinion and viewing my Thread.

Rocco

For too many reasons to go into - use NTFS.
But this provides a good explanation
There are reasons to stick with FAT - mainly to do with cross O/S accessibility - if you don't need them - use NTFS.

This explains the differences between basic and dynamic disks.

I am not aware there is any speed difference between basic & dynamic disks.

[navy]When I married "Miss Right" I didn't realise her first name was 'always'. LOL[/navy]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back