Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dynamic Data without refresh

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcwave

IS-IT--Management
May 18, 2003
US
Hey gurus...
I have a secure web page that contains mostly static HTML. However, I have one area that needs to have dynamic data update every 15 seconds. I do not want to have to refresh the whole page every 15 seconds. What is the best way to go about this?

Thanks

What about a frame?

Another option would be to use client-side script to create an instance of the XMLHTTPRequest object and use that object to fetch the updates.

Sheco - can you elaborate a little more on that?

DotNetGnat - I know nothing about AJAX.

Part of the problem is that out company is mostly C/C++, the only webstuff or VB that happens around here is when I need stuff and no one will do it or buy it.

I had thought about using a Perl script similar to the ones I have seen used to make the little graphs used to monitor Cisco routers.

Or even have a flash object do the updating.

ajax = client-side script to create an instance of the XMLHTTPRequest object

google ajax or remote scripting

Thanks. I did search it and came up with some code to do what I want. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back