Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dynamic Crosstab

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartansFC

Programmer
Apr 1, 2009
GB
Hi

So with Duane's previous help and his "recurring.mdb" database, i've been able to populate a table from a "start date to end date" to show a child's attendance on a daily basis at a certain childcare provider, the table design is:

tblOccupancyBuildNewPerm
lngOccupancyPermID
dteSessionDates
lngOccupancyMonthYear
lngChildID
lngClubsID
lngDailySession (this is just a 1, which will be used in a count)
lngDailySessionActive (can be either a "A", "X" to represent if a child is active etc)

I've even been able to create a crosstab query based off this table:
Code:
TRANSFORM Count(qrySessionAvailability.lngChildID) AS CountOflngChildID
SELECT qrySessionAvailability.lngChildID, qrySessionAvailability.dteChildDOB, qrySessionAvailability.ChildAge2, qrySessionAvailability.strGenderDesc, qrySessionAvailability.FullName, qrySessionAvailability.strClubName, Count(qrySessionAvailability.lngChildID) AS [Total Of lngChildID]
FROM qrySessionAvailability
GROUP BY qrySessionAvailability.lngChildID, qrySessionAvailability.dteChildDOB, qrySessionAvailability.ChildAge2, qrySessionAvailability.strGenderDesc, qrySessionAvailability.FullName, qrySessionAvailability.strClubName
PIVOT qrySessionAvailability.dtedays;

but my problem is, the user needs to be able to select a month and club name via 2 combo boxes and the column headings, data needs to change accordingly to show each weekday for that month. I've seen another of Duane's amazing example databases "DynamSubFrm.mdb" so i guess i need to see about changing the code in that, my question are:

1. Can i have column totals for each day of each month?
2. Does the crosstab subform as in dynamSubFrm.mdb need to be in the datasheet format or can it be a continuous form?
3. Can i create different column totals for each day .ie. Number of male children, number of male chidlren under 8, number of female children..... (i know i can as i've managed it on other forms, i'm just not sure if it's possible on a dynamic crosstab form.
4. I need to link the child crosstab with a staff rota crosstab and somehow link the days together which i can do via the child and master links i believe. Say for example on 18 July there are 10 under 9 children, and there is 1 staff member working that day, the ratio for staff is 1 staff member per 8 under 8's, so i need to somehow do a calculation per day to see if there is enough cover

I think i'm reaching my limitations here, this is by far the most complicated form i've been asked to design.

Can anyone help

Michael

Michael,
The DynamSubFrm.mdb example takes advantage of datasheet views only.

What is the data type of dteDays? Is this a date field?

Can you use a report? Have you looked at my FAQ in the reports forum about dynamic monthly crosstabs? I know you can change the month interval to days. I haven't given much thought to presenting the information in a form but I expect it's possible.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Hi Duane

dteDays is made from dteSessionDates (which is a date field) in qrySessionAvailability, i've created a query to pull though all the data, then created a crosstab query "qrySessionAvailability_Crosstab" based of that query.

so in qrySessionAvailability_Crosstab i have in one of the columns

Code:
dtedays: Format([dteSessionDates],"dd")

the reason why i've done that is because hopefully the user will select the month and i want the column headings to just show the days, ie. "01, 02, 03, 04...."

I will probably need to print out the crosstab but i need to have it as a form first, I have looked at your dynamic monthly crosstab report, i'll have to have a better look i guess, i know it's possible to do what i want, just need to work it out.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back