Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dynamic ASP Pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

dachaney

IS-IT--Management
Sep 3, 2001
NL
Sorry if this post is a little vague.

I am trying to work out how to populate another part of the current webpage, with out reloading the page again, by posting to and calling data from the server.

For example
A warranty check on a suppliers website would have a form containing a Drop Down to select the Product. Once this was selected a another drop down would be shown to select the model type based on the product. and then a input box to enter the serial number.

What I am looking to do is to send the Product value back to the server and then the server return the html code to display the drop down for the Model Type.

What I don't want to do is reload the page again, or use Iframes (this data needs to be part of the form data), or try to include all combinations or Products and Model Types in the initial page to be downloaded - this would take too long.

How can this be achieved ? what controls (SPAN,DIV etc) allow you to replace their contents with the results of a call to the server.?

Thanks

David

PS I'm using ASP & VBscript and IE only

The word you're looking for is AJAX. Start with a tutorial like
When you get a more specific question you could try asking again here for the ASP elements, in forum216 for the JS elements or in forum1600 for general AJAX bits. faq222-2244 will give you some guidance on forum usage and basic research.

Steam Engine Prints

Looks exactly what I'm after, I'll look into this straight away

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back