Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dying motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hw45

Technical User
Oct 5, 2002
CA
Hi
It's an Asus A7A266 motherboard and there are real strange symptoms (could it be from a power surge?). First of all I got the computer with a damaged nic driver in device manager, which after Ali-driver-update worked again. I thought already that was it. I was wrong! Suddenly blue screens came up with error 0x00000008e and 0x000000025 and so on. So I changed the memory (512MB noname) to 256MB. Now everything works fine except the speaker makes a strange noise after the welcome melody of XP (like a short loud feedback) and after shutdown (stops after a few seconds when computer is already off - like a humming). Cold boot works without any problems, that speaker problem is only at warm restart.
I checked already another power supply and another ethernet card. I don't think it's the sound card, I think more about a damaged motherboard - could that be? Maybe there is somebody with a similar problem.

Make sure the sound card is fully inserted, the speaker's wires are securely connected/inserted and they're not laying near any power cords, move the speakers around to different locations, and if the speakers have their own power supply then connect their power cord to a different outlet.

If those are ok, then try the speakers on another system.
If the same thing happens, then they may be bad.

Hi ski,
thank you for your reply. It was the sound card itself. I was already prepared for a new Windows installation. But before that I tried another sound card and it works fine now. So the power surge demaged memory and sound card and hopefully not more will pop up later.
Best regards
hw45

Glad to hear that you fixed things.
And thanks for replying with the solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back