Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DWL - G520 Irratic

Status
Not open for further replies.

welshwizard1981

Technical User
Sep 5, 2005
GB
I have installed two seperate D-Link DWL-G520 wireless PCI Cards on desktop pc's (1 hp compaq, the other an IBM) and both seem to have trouble maintaining a connection or sometimes even seeing the wireless network. I know its not to do with the network itself as have many other computers connected.

Has anyone experienced this with these D-Link cards?

I run a DLink DWL-AG520 Wireless (with desktop aerial) on a fully patched Windows XP box connecting to a 64bit WEP encrypted SSID-hidden wireless network at work. This setup has worked without issue since December 2004, in an area with a high number of other wireless networks (including many very poorly configured ones).

Driver Provider = DLink
Driver Date = 23/07/2003
Driver Version = 2.4.1.31

The DLink AirXpert monitoring utility is installed however I'm using the Windows Wireless Zero Config Utility to configure and maintain the connection..

HTH

TazUk

[pc] Blue-screening PCs since 1998

Oops - I must remember to double check the manufacturer's site before assuming a missing letter in a model number. Fundamentally different cards...[blush].. Time for more coffee [morning]

Are you using the Windows Wireless Configuration service or DLinks own utility? - it might be worth experimenting by switching to the alternative.
You could also try NetStumbler to measure signal strength as received by the workstations in question?

TazUk

[pc] Blue-screening PCs since 1998

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back