Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DW Methodology

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDM

IS-IT--Management
Jan 10, 2001
AU
Hi there anyone out there used a specific dw methodology for data warehouse development, particularly for documenting requirements? I've heard some people have used use cases, but I don't see how this works because use cases are good for process modelling, not really for information modelling.

Cheers

The two major DW gurus, Inmon and Kimball do a lot for the architecture and design of the warehouse, but, as you have noted, do little with the requirements piece.

Data Warehouse Project Management, by Adelman and Moss has a dozen or so pages on the subject.
Kimball's Lifecycle Toolkit has about 40 pages.
Both deal with interviewing end users and potential end users of the warehouse.

Basically, there are three main reasons to build a data warehouse:
- Integration of data from multiple sources.
- Reduction of processing demands on OLTP servers, or to provide a separate processing area for business analysis
- To provide a single, validated data source for corporate reporting and analysis.

Which of these three are driving your project?

Also, check out

-------------------------
Sometimes the grass is greener on the other side because there is more manure there !

Business Intelligence Making Better Decisions Faster

Was written by some of the Aspirity people. They focus primarily on te warehouse from the non development point and focus on end user requirments and process. I haven't read the whole book but I remember one chapter detailing processes about gathering requirements.

Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!
- Daffy Duck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back