Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DW converts &elements; to graphic representation

Status
Not open for further replies.

capitano

Programmer
Jul 30, 2001
US
Hello folks,

I'm having this problem with Dreamweaver MX that I don't know how to fix.

When I code up my HTML pages, some elements like » and © end up being converted to their graphical representation. But the actual graphical representations are special Windows characters. So when I upload my files to a Unix server, it has no idea how to interpret the Windows's graphical character for a copyright symbol. If dreamweaver would just leave things like © as just text, then the Unix web server would be happy.

Do you understand what I'm talking about? Is there a way to tell Dreamweaver NOT to convert such symbols as © to the graphical form? I've looked in Edit-->Preferences, but I cannot locate such a control.

Thank you,
Bryan

there is no graphical form. it only uses special words. like   will give a space. and it is NOT platform dependent, but it is browser dependent... try inserting gifs. by the way u cant type a © sign just like that...

Known is handfull, Unknown is worldfull

"and © end up being converted to their graphical representation"
...then ur a F**** genious :) ...using HTML to generate images?!

> need more info?
:: don't click HERE ::

feeling highly sarcastic today eh?

<signature>
sometime you just gotta say &quot;WHAT THE @#*% !!&quot;
</signature>

LOL....yeah I guess long days.nights will do it
but no no....I would like to learn the trick...no more XML if the post holds the truth :)
on the serious note...use the advice of vbkris....little gifs and ANY borwser/OS is happy....

I will gladly do it for you...u post the size (in px or pt) of the image (character) you would like to have......
;-)
All the best!

> need more info?
:: don't click HERE ::

Hi Capitano,

Well, I've never used graphic images for such simple things like copyright. You can insert things like em dashes and copyright symbols in DM - Insert, Special Characters, pick ...

In code view the symbol will appear with it's full ISO Latin-1 character set code. Of course, if you know the codes (ie you've got a chart) you can type them in directly IN CODE VIEW. Most of the codes have names as well but not all - vbkris' comments are misleading. So, for example, if you wanted curly quotes on your page instead of boring straight ones, use & # 1 4 7 ; and & # 1 4 8 ; (no spaces) but type it into the code view window.

If you are picking your symbols out of the Windows character map and copying straight into the Design View window, you may not be getting the actual code - check in Code view to see that where the symbol should appear you've got &# then a series of numbers and ending with ;

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back