Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DVS vs. Sony CD-RW

Status
Not open for further replies.

yardape13

Technical User
Oct 30, 2001
US
I found a DVS 16x10x40 CD-RW for $90, and a Sony one for $120. Is DVS a decent brand?

Forgot the mention the Sony CD-RW has "Burnproof" whatever that is.

Burnproof is what you really need with CDRW's at that sort of speed. I'd go for Sony, I've never heard of DVS and Sony's a decent make and not a huge amount more, plus it's burnproof!

Burnproof, just so you know, is a method by which the CDRW drive can suspend the CD burning method if the computer is too busy to supply the data to the drive. Non burnproof drives mean that if you do anything else on the PC whilst burning a CD that interrupts the dataflow to the CDRW drive, then the drive can't stop burning whilst it waits for data, so you get a 'buffer underrun'. This makes the CD useless (or a 'coaster'). You need to start burning over again with another CD.

Hope that's useful! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back