Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DVD-Writer stopped reading cd's dvd's

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdouglas1

Technical User
Feb 19, 2005
GB
my dvd-writer drive recently stopped reading disks. ive tried all sorts of different cd's and dvd's it dosnt read anything. its showing up in the device manager with no faults, ive removed the device and reinstalled windows drivers to no avail, i also have another dvd drive in the machine that works so i tried switching the ide cables around and the power connectors (although the power connectors seem fine as the drive opens/closes and the green light flashes trying to read stuff. when i put cds/dvds in it says please insert disk into drive... i also downloaded and tried a firmware update which said it installed fine but didnt solve my problem. the only thing i can think of that may have possibly destroyed the drive is using a cleaning cd in it. it was a wee while back but i cant actually remember if it was working after that. ive exhausted my ideas to fix it, think its just knackered? help appreciated

ok it is xp im running so i tried the fix but it hasnt solved my problem. thanks anyways

Try re-cleaning the inside with a can of compressed air (cleaning cd's can damage the lens). If that doesn't help, try the drive in another PC before you conclude that you have a hardware issue.

If you were using Roxio's burn software at one point, try this fix:

The ultimate test will be whether or not the drive works in another system...
[tab]

~cdogg
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

I had the same problem with mine. It was a hival dvd writer & it went bad after only a couple of months. Nothing you can really do it cleaning doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back