Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DVD writer not found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

melmitts

Programmer
Jun 18, 1999
US
I am running Windows XP Pro with a HP DVD writer 400i. The CMOS on the intel motherboard sees it. Windows recognizes it when it boots but none of the software sees it. The Windows Device Manager sees it and reports it as working correctly but places the yellow I symbol on it. It has been working fine for several months. I have tried uninstalling the driver and rebooting. Windows finds it a a new device and installs the device driver but still does not work. Any help is appreciated.

I had the same problem with a DVD burner also. It seems that the software I was using (Roxio) overwrote the windows drivers. I tried uninstalling the drive but windows installs it again using the Roxio drivers. What software are you using that doesnt recognize the drive?

If it has only just become a problem you might be able to fix it by using System Restore to get back to when it worked.

Heck, I might as well jump in.
Microsoft has a neat little utility called AutoFix that examines service and registry entries for devices capable of AutoPlay. It will attempt to repair items that are not right, and will report its success or failure to you so that additional steps can be taken.

Recommended:

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Unfortunately, none of them solved the problem.

Which left me with only a couple of options...

1. Get the .357 and pump a couple of rounds into the cpu to put it out of its misery.

OR

2. Dump it and do a fresh install.

After careful consideration, I chose the latter....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back