Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DVD won't play DVDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

wileya

MIS
Nov 1, 2002
US
the last time i played a dvd it worked fine, now it doesn't see the dvds. i've tried intervideo, pc friendly or whatever and windvd. nothing.
in between dvds i've installed roxio 5 that came with my cd-rw and udf files.
i'm on win ME
anybody know any regedit tricks to get this back?

the dvd brand is 'Afreey, Inc. DVD-ROM 10X DD-4010E' and please don't rag on me about the brand, it was in the pc when i bought it (used) but it worked fine then.

i've deleted it, and it reinstalled, tried different dvds, dma is checked, autoplay is checked, everything appears to be fine but it doesn't work as a dvd player, works ok as a cd-rom, plays music and games but not dvds.
i'll try anything (short of a hammer) to fix this, it's one of those damn annoying little things in life but it makes me mad.

sounds like it is possible that your software is trying to pick up the new cdrw drive instead of the dvd drive... open up your dvd software and goto something like settings or options and look thru there to see what drive letter it is defaulting to... its possible that the cdrw took over the drive letter that you dvd use to have

i checked that and it shows the correct drive, "G" in this case because i have two harddrives and the second is partitioned.
see how much fun this is?

Roxio must have installed it's own drivers over your original DVD drivers, I have had this happen to me a few times. You will need to find the DVD drives website if possible and reinstall the drivers for it, that may overwrite the roxio stuff, maybe roxio has a driver update that will fix it as well, you should check there sute as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back