Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DVD+RW not recognized on Leopard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2003
US
I upgraded my Macbook to Leopard and since then I am experiencing a strange problem:
- Every time I insert a blank DVD+RW, the disk is not recognized and after a few seconds, it is promptly ejected.
- If there is data on a DVD+RW disk, no problem: I can see it, play the media, etc.
- There is no problem if I insert a CD or DVD-R/RW.

Is there a problem with DVD+RW in Leopard or is there something that I can do in order to have the computer mount this type of media?
(PS: I don't recall this problem existing when I was running Tiger, on the same laptop).

Any ideas? Thanks.

What does System Profiler show the drive as? Super - Combo?
When did you last update Leopard?

Have you tried a different brand of DVD-RW, have seen where the drives can be picky about what brand media.

Although I don't think it applies you could reset the SMU on your MacBook, have a look here:
It could be the drive is going south on you. How old is your MacBook and is it still under warranty? Check here

Twist

===========================================
Everything will be OK in the end.
If it's not OK, then it's not the end

In the System Profiler I don't see if the drive is Super or Combo. All it shows is Matshita DVD-R UJ-857D ATAPI cache 2048 Kb. It does say that it writes to (among others) DVD+RW.
I upgraded to Leopard back in Jan. or Feb. and the laptop is about 2 years old. I will try other brands of disks, but it is weird how the problem seems to be only with blank DVD+RW. All other disks are fine and if the DVD+RW has some data on it, it is read by the computer.

Have a look at this - It talks about cd's getting spit out as soon as they are put in, the method that repaired it is a little off the wall, but anything is worth a try.

What do the DVD-RW's look like when they get spit out, any scratching or marking, specificaly white marks?

And look here, this kind of sounds like your issue

For further info google this "macbook superdrive problems" I got a ton of hits.

Twist

===========================================
Everything will be OK in the end.
If it's not OK, then it's not the end

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try the solution mentioned in the first URL and see if that helps in my situation.

The disks show no signs of scratching or marks when they are spit out (they are blank, brand new).

Try opening System Prefs and go to CD/DVD. Then see what's set for "When you insert a blank DVD" Try changing it and see what happens.

Using OSX 10.3.9 & 10.4.11 on a G4, G5 & Intel Macbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back