Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DVD-RW drive will not read DVDs, but reads CDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sperto

Technical User
Oct 15, 2006
SE
I would appreciate any help solving my problem with my Packard Bell (Imedia 5097). When I tries burning a DVD, the drive will not recognise the DVD. When I put a DVD in the computer it doesn't show a disc in the drive. It works fine with CDs.

The problem started one week ago. Before this everything worked just fine. I haven´t installed anything new the last weeks.

My burner: Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-105
I use Windows XP.

I use Sonic RecordNow which came with the computer.
Now I uninstalled all other burning programs.
I've also uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and still have the same problem.
I verified that it's using DMA under the Advanced Settings tab
I tried running the Autofix tool, but it showed no problem.

Using Devfilter shows the following.

Upper Class Filter: GEARAspiWDM
Upper Device Filter: redbook
Device Object: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-105
Lower Class Filter: ASAPIW2K
Lower Class Filter: PxHelp20
Lower Device Filter: imapi

Driver Name: gearaspiwdm.sys
File Location: c:\windows\system32\drivers
File Description: Filter Driver for 2k and XP
File Version: 1.020 [1.0.2.0]
Product Name: GEARAspi
Product Version: 3.xx [1.0.2.0]
Company Name: GEAR Software

Driver Name: redbook.sys
File Description: Drivrutin för Redbook-ljudfilter
File Version: 5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) [5.1.2600.1106]
Product Name: Operativsystemet Microsoft® Windows®
Product Version: 5.1.2600.1106 [5.1.2600.1106]
Company Name: Microsoft Corporation

Driver Name: asapiw2k.sys
File Description: ASAPI
File Version: 6, 0, 0, 1 [6.0.0.1]
Product Name: asapi
Product Version: 6, 0, 0, 1 [6.0.0.1]
Company Name: VOB Computersysteme GmbH
Driver Name: pxhelp20.sys
File Description: Px Engine Device Driver for Windows 2000/XP
File Version: 2.03.28a [2.3.28.0]
Product Name: PxHelp20
Product Version: [2.0.0.0]
Company Name: Sonic Solutions

Driver Name: imapi.sys
File Description: IMAPI Kernel Driver
File Version: 5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) [5.1.2600.1106]
Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Product Version: 5.1.2600.1106 [5.1.2600.1106]
Company Name: Microsoft Corporation

Likely the drive is just malfunctioning (ie, dying as a DVD reader/writer - which means CD access may also follow). Optical drives do this unfortunately. I'd just replace it - fortunately they're not very expensive any more wither.

I spent more than 20 hours trying to solve my problem. Maybe my burner died?

I was thinking about buying a new burner, Pioneer DVR-111. Do you think this will solve my problem? Or is it a big risk that the problem will continue if the problem isn't with the burner?

A good thing to do is get your hands on an old hard drive (any spare will do), throw it into your PC and load a fresh install of Windows XP. Then you can use this drive to troubleshoot hardware problems in the future, such as this one.

When the drive reads CDs but not DVDs (or vice versa), then that's usually a sign of a hardware problem as wolluf said. I wouldn't spend a lot of time on it, but to try my suggestion above would have only taken a fraction of the time you've spent so far to tell you for sure if it's a hardware issue.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

I spent more than 20 hours trying to solve my problem

Sperto, there comes a time when you must weigh the time and frustration factor against a new $40 DVD-RW. My guess it is the DVD laser, seen it happen a few times and wasted many an hour chasing a bad part. Best of luck.

Tony

I agree with wahnula. Sounds like the dvd laser.

I've seen and experienced this many times before.

Regards,

Rob

sig1.gif

Unless the drive is still under warranty I would pull the drive apart and clean the laser lens and the track bars with a Eyeglass cleaning cloth with one corner dampened with eyeglass cleaner. its amazing how well a drive works after that.
and yes I have cleaned lots of DVD and CD drives this way

most of the time it works...but..there are times that it doesn't work.

firewolfrl, mine does almost the same thing it will not read all dvds however, it will read some dvds...I have been burning dvds and also cleaning the dvd with a CD Cleaner, heres my question; other then taking the dvd apart is there a CD cleaner that you would use?? I have used the Maxwell cleaner one works great, the other not at all!! it reads cds cdrw dvds (that I have burnt) but not store baught dvds it also has problems reading dvd-r but will read a dvd+ I know about changing the firmware I just dont want to take that darn thing apart to clean it any ideas on a cleaner???

Paul,
The laser frequency is changed when switching from reading DVDs to CDs and vice versa. So when one works but not the other, then usually the problem is a dirty lens or faulty laser. There is a mechanism in these combo drives in charge of adjusting the frequency of the laser. When these go bad, there's just nothing you can do aside from replacing the drive.

In your case, I would try using a few "short" blasts of compressed air into your drive to clean the lens. This is usually the safest way. I usually don't recommend using a DVD/CD lens cleaner (disc with brushes) except as a last resort.

You could disassemble it and clean it the way firewolfrl recommends if compressed air doesn't work - it can't hurt. But sometimes your time is worth more just to replace the drive since they are dirt cheap these days.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

thank you cdogg, (sigh) I will try the short blasts or air today and then open it up, your right I have nothing to lose..and they are cheap...thanks again for the advise

Mine is doing the same thing. Reads everything but bought DVDs. Burns everything okay... Time for a new drive after I try shooting it with some air.....

One question.. Why when I uninstall it from the device manager and it reinstalls..It works briefly..Maybe one movie..That is why I didn't think it was a faulty laser..

cdogg, I could kiss you (if I wasn't married) after hours of trying to figure out what was wrong. The blast of canned air seems to of taken care of the problem. I've heard about dirty lasers before..but I wouldn't ever guess that it would worked okay on everything but commercially bought dvds...

Thank you .....

I always found the canned air trick to be somewhat a temporary fix. I open the drive up and blow the junk completely out of the drive. otherwise you are just moving the debris that is in the drive around without removing it from the drive. that and dust and debris get on the track bars for the laser (they sometimes have light grease on them) and make the laser jamb up.

glad to hear it is working though

firewolfrl,
Guess it's a matter of preference really. Many of us rarely have the time to take things completely apart in order to get a thorough cleaning, especially when you're dealing with a part that costs less than $50. In a work environment, it matters even less to IT when you encounter problems like that on a large scale. Time is too valuable in that situation.

When I shoot drives with compressed air, I usually do so on the side of the opening so that air can easily escape on the other side (carrying dust out with it). It's not perfect, but it works often enough and takes 10 seconds.

jgonick,
My pleasure! Glad it worked out for you...
[thumbsup2]

~cdogg

OK! OK! Cdogg,

LOL, I live in a small rural town were parts are UPS'ed or I just drive 25 miles(nearest computer parts store is 70 miles) one way to get some parts....I tear everything apart console DVD players to you name it if it is electrical...I am a tinkerer. I even trace dead components on a motherboard or two...so to me tearing a optical drive apart is a second nature thing and is not a time or money thing...

I understand. I'd do the same if I were in your shoes. I guess I've always been with a large company that usually has everything I need in stock and time is of the essence to the customer. So I suppose my perspective comes from a "spoiled" tekkie...
[LOL]

~cdogg

I tried cleaning it I took it apart and it worked for two burnings then failed, I then tried the Air and it works , so I beleive that both of you are right and I thank you
While I have you here I am going to buy anouther today please tell me what you think ( both of you)

DRIVE TYPE: Internal DVD+R/+RW Double/Dual Layer, Dual Format DVD/CD Recorder
MEDIA and MODES SUPPORTED: DVD-R/-R DL/-RW, DVD+R/DVD+R DL/+RW: DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, CD-DA, CD-ROM (XA), CD Extra, Video CD, Photo CD, CD Text, multi-session
READ/WRITE SPEED: Write (DVD-R) 1X, 2X, 4X, 6X CLV 8X, 12X P-CAV 16X CAV max; Write (DVD-R DL) 2X, 4X, 8X max; Write (DVD-RW) 1X, 2X, 4X, 6X CLV max; Write (DVD+R) 2.4X, 4X, 6X, 8X - 12X P-CAV max. 16X CAV max; Write (DVD+R DL) 2.4X, 4X, 6X CLV, 8X P-CAV max; Write (DVD+RW) 2.4X, 4X, 6X CLV, 8X P-CAV max; Write (CD-R) 12X, 16 CLV, 24X ~ 32X P-CAV, 40X, 48X CAV max; Write (CD-RW) 4X, 10X,16X, 24X - 32X P-CAV max; Read (DVD-ROM) 16X max; Read (CD-ROM) 40X max.
SUSTAINED DATA TRASFER RATE: 21 MBs max. (16X DVD-ROM)
AVERAGE ACCESS TIME: 130 ms (DVD 16X), 135 ms (CD 48X)
INTERFACE: EIDE (ATAPI)
BURST TRANSFER RATE: 33.3 MBs Ultra DMA33 Mode 2
BUFFER MEMORY: 2MB
DIMENSIONS: 5.75 x 1.63 x 6.75 inches
WEIGHT: 2 pounds

Looks good to me. Just about any newer burner these days that do all the formats are fine.

You didn't list the make/model, so I can't tell you if the price is right. However, I suggest you look on the following site for a good deal:

NEC, Samsung, Sony, etc., are all good brands that I'd recommend. Some burn dual-layer a bit faster than others, but for every other kind of format, they're usually pretty equal.

~cdogg

Sony DRU-810A Internal Double/Dual Layer and Dual Format DVD Burner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back