Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DVD +RW drive is no longer recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfujino

Programmer
Apr 10, 2001
US
Please help - All of a sudden, my computer no longer recognized my DVD +RW drive. When I look in device manager, the drive is there with that ugly yellow mark next to it. I uninstall it and try to reinstall the driver, but that doesn't work. I uninstalled the IDE controllers and reinstalled, still doesn't work. I swapped out the drive with a working one, same thing. I changed the cable, still doesn't work.

I'm not able to tell if this is a hardware or software issue - I'm a little afraid to reinstall the OS if I can't use any sort of CD rom drive to do it. And System restore doesn't work - no matter what date I try to go back to, it says that the system cannot be resored. My system is a Dell 4550 Dimension.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

We used a W98 boot disk w/CD support, and the drive started working (it was upgraded from a CD player to a CD-RW, when it quit working) Changed to a DVD player, and it still wasn't seen in Windows. Could use Explore to see the files, on the DVD though.

Turns out that removing TrendMicro AV software solved the problem, but the original CD-R turned out to be bad.

-David
2006 Microsoft Valueable Professional (MVP)
2006 Dell Certified System Professional (CSP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back