Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DVD-RAM vs DVD+/-R/RW? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odyssey

Technical User
Dec 16, 2001
US
Are there any clear advantages of using DVD-RAM for archiving/backup? I understand that DVD's (+ or -) are both superior to CD's, but prefer not to have any more formats than necessary.

I am looking at buying a Panasonic DVD-R/RW/DVD-RAM Pinnacle(VOB7.0) or a Pioneer 105. The former will write to DVD-RAM, and the Pioneer is faster, but doesn't write RAM.

so unless RAM provides a clear and substantial advantage over -R/RW, would not the Pioneer be the choice?

This article should sum it up:

DVD-RAM has some really nice recording features, and is smoother than DVD-R/W and DVD+R/RW when it comes to writing data on the fly (using it like a hard drive). Other than that, you're not missing a whole lot.

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

What Are negs and pos about DVD- and DVD+?
Why are there 2 kinds?
If I want to record flicks which do I want?

Either format is fine. The '-' format was released before '+' and overall has a better compatibility rating with set-top DVD players. However, the difference is small and if you go to this site ( you can see the different formats rated against each other.

Both have similar features for the most part, though a lot of people like some of the extra features that '+R/RW' has to offer. There are also DVD burners out there that will burn using either format.

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back