Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DVD+R and DVD-R

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philbong

Technical User
Aug 20, 2002
GB
Just a quick one and this must sound really stupid but what is the difference between DVD+R and DVD-R ?

Which company earns royalties from the production of the drives & discs, that's the biggest difference.

They hold the same amount of data, same length of video, etc. The -R came first & is cheaper. The +R format I think is a bit better for the rewritable discs and possibly also a bit better in error recovery (like minor scratches on the disc surfase).

Quick explanation and other useful info:

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

And it looks as if we're going to have 3 competing standards for the new hd dvd that's supposed to come out in the next year or two... yikes!

I've been looking into this myself and it seems that DVD-R is slightly more compatible than DVD+R on DVD players. But you definitely can't go wrong with getting a dual-format burner.

just wait for the blue laser dvd writers - much faster and have an upper limit of 27gb/dvd plus they are two-sided. they should be out by mid 2004.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back