Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DVD problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

seagor

IS-IT--Management
Jun 30, 2000
IE
I am experiencing some probs. with DVD players & various software players, the problem happens usually after a few chapters and causes the DVD to lockup. It seems to happen with both Win95 & Win98, the PC's are well capable as the have similar specs to the following:<br>P111-550MMX, 128MB. Ram, 16MB/32MB. ATI Video cards (Usually Rage 128) AOpen 10 X DVD drives & various software players ie. WinDVD,ATI DVD player, Power DVD. I have enabled the DMA settings for the drives with limited success. Ram shouldn't be a prob. could there be some setting to deal with buffering or anything else I might be missing?<br><br>Thanks.

Your DVD Player may not be well calibrated or adjusted by the maufacturer. This usually happens when there is a change in climate in the point of origin to the user's place. Bring your DVD Player to the dealer for further testing. If it is found to be same as your experience then they will surely forward it to the manufacturer's authorize service center for calibration. You have done well with your machine. Don't worry.

also something I may recomend, if you have other drives right around it, I've found my DVD will lock up, or used to lock up, if it got too hot, I relocated it in an area of the bays, so that it had an Empty above it, and it had my LiveDrive below it(which has alto of air around it sincee its only a board with a front pannel, and it hasnt locked up since, with the added cooling and such. Might be that, especially if you have a burner on top or below it. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>

A have a similar problem with my DVD, perhaps you guys know what to do with it.<br>It have proper cooling, so that isn´t the issue.<br><br>The DVD doesn´t lock up completely, but the picture never stops &quot;jumping&quot;. It´s like a VHS but I don´t have the tracking function(hope you understand what I mean)<br><br>It is very annoying because I can´t watch movies with it.<br><br> <p>Nostradamus<br><a href=mailto:soren.danielsson@liv.se>soren.danielsson@liv.se</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

does it do this to all DVD dics?, or just some titles? <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>

One thing that most people overlook with DVDs is the need for a hardware decoding solution over software to ensure full screen error free playback. Most resellers will leave this recommendation out as it inflates the price of the system which leads to price competition problems.<br>I have sold several high-end systems using either the Hi-Val Hollywood MPEG2 Decoder (I believe Hi-Val just closed shop) and The ATI All In Wonder Pro 128. Both these boards provide for seamless playback on a monitor or TV.<br>These can be expensive options but are worth the cost.&nbsp;&nbsp; <p>Al<br><a href=mailto: atc-computing@home.com> atc-computing@home.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

hehe, are you kidding, I paid only 130$ for my 5X DVD that came with a Dxr3 Hardware Decoder(which is basically identical to the Hollywood+ card) if he means the ususal skiping, then heck yea go with a hardware decoder card, they're great quality, and can do TV-out as well as dolbydigital output if you have a stereo receiver. also 550Mhz isnt that fast for software decoding, depending on the player you are using, Xing player is among the fastest of the software decoders, but doesnt have as much features as the powerDVD and so forth. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>

It happens on all DVD:s. The DVD-player is an Aopen 6X if that is of any value.<br>I have a hardware mpeg-card which works fine. I also tried software decoding as well as another mpeg-card. The problem is still there.<br><br>Some while ago I ran into another problem with the DVD-player. Whenever I push the play-button it starts reading the disc but insted of playing my precious movies it ejects my disc. <br><br>Is there some hardware fault on my player?<br>Is this a common problems on Aopen DVD:s?<br>What could be causing this?<br> <p>Nostradamus<br><a href=mailto:soren.danielsson@liv.se>soren.danielsson@liv.se</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

The problem seems to also happen on Samsung drives, I have however noticed that by using the different software Players I mentioned in my original posting that the problem differs from player to player. WinDVD seems to give the best result overall. The problem also seems to have improved since downloading the latest ATI drivers.

nostradamus have u tried cleaning the drive with a drive cleaner my drive a creative labs 6x skips,jumps,locks up when it dirty try using a drive cleaner

frazell: do you mean one of those that uses some small brush to clean off the lense? I have one of those disc´s somewhere... I´ll see if I can find it and run it.<br> <p>Nostradamus<br><a href=mailto:soren.danielsson@liv.se>soren.danielsson@liv.se</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Hello,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I have almost the same configuration. For software decoding, it's not 100% perfect but.. I use a ATI Rage Fury, and my DVD was skipping every 2 seconds...! I use ATI DVD Player..! I activated the DMA, it was better but not perfect. I had a AOPEN DVD drive.. I changed with a friend for a Creative DVD-Rom 2x..! It solved the problem.. So I bought it and never had a problem since..! Go figure..!! <br><br>I sell and repair a lot of hardware and AOPEN is one manufacturer who seems to have a lots of problems..!<br><br>Hope this will help..!<br><br>Ben_Cool

I read through the previous posts to this thread and I may have missed it(I am sorry if I am reiterating something someone else said) But it could be that the DVD is too fast. BenCool switched from a faster DVD to a slower one. I don't know if there is a way to tell the DVD drive to work at a slower speed, if there is then that may solve the problem.<br><br>BTW why would you want to play DVD's at a higher rate anyway? Better picture quality? <p>Troy Williams B.Eng.<br><a href=mailto:fenris@hotmail.com>fenris@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Hi Fenris,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;You will use the DVD speed only when you want to change the scene, change camera angle, change audio track.. but it doen't change at all the quality in a movie..<br><br>Think of it that way. A VCR will read at the same speed but when you press FAST FORWARD, it will go faster. It's the main difference.. the quality was the same..! That's why I still have that 2x from Creative and work perfectly..! But it cannot be too fast so it will skip. But it's a good point, very good question..!<br><br>Ben_Cool

I don't have a dvd rom myself, but I did get a 8x burner and let me tell you my system is not fast enough to utilize it :( So I settle for 4x for now(at least it is twice as fast as what I was used to!). <p>Troy Williams B.Eng.<br><a href=mailto:fenris@hotmail.com>fenris@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back