Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DVD plays audio but no video

Status
Not open for further replies.

j2dawson

Technical User
Jan 23, 2005
US
I changed HD and did a fresh install of XP and all updates including SP3. I also replaced the defective DVD drive. I have the DVD Writer on IDE #2 as master and a CD writer as slave. When I try to view a DVD, I get perfect audio and WM11 shows the chapter list but only a black screen. When I try to view a movie with the ATI DVD player I get nothing. Using either player I get no errors, just no video.

I'm using an ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon and when I run their system test it reports that it found no DVD drive. XP sees it, as I have used it to install software and can hear audio as reported before. It's driving me nuts, can anyone help?

You don't have the right codec installed.

Go to and download the KLite Codec pack which will install all of the common codecs for you, alternatively you could go to and download the VLC player and try using that, it has most of the codecs already installed inside it and does a pretty good job.

My preference actually would be to use VLC as the default player that way you won't have too many issues in the future.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

That did it! Thanks for the help Simon.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back