Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DVD playback

Status
Not open for further replies.

djdyal

Technical User
Feb 11, 2004
US
When using either Media Center or WMP 12, some DVDs will not play from the DVD drive. I get an error message which says there are digital copyright issues. However, that same DVD will play using the Roxio Cineplayer. Further, if I rip the DVD to the hard drive it will play fine. I have the HTPC connect via HDMI to an LG LED 1080p flatscreen. The codecs and drivers are all up to date.

In Windows XP, this error was related to the output resolution. Windows would not allow certain copyrighted material to be played in high definition. However, I can find no documentation from Microsoft that this issue remains in Windows 7.

Finally, I have a laptop with Windows 7 installed which plays the DVDs in question just fine. Seems to me to be an issue with the use of the HDMI cable and the inherently high resolution.

that's HDCP (DRM is part of this) for you...

High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection

I'll not get into the legalities of ripping, but that usually also entails the removing of any copy protection (including the above), and thus will play anywhere there after, where as playing certain DVD's / Media, will balk when attempting to play to a TV that does not adhere to the standard described in the link above...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

I have discovered the issue, for which I could probably earn a Nobel prize. I started wondering why the DVD in question would play on my laptop and also play on my LG via HDMI from the laptop, but not on the HTPC connected via HDMI to the same TV. The difference is that the laptop played sound through the TV's speakers and the HTPC played through the sound system. Then, I found a post on Microsoft's forum where someone built a system, thoroughly tested the DVD playback on a monitor, then hooked it up to his TV and sound system and it wouldn't play. The Microsoft tech recommended changing the sound settings. I tried that out and the DVD played perfectly. So, it wasn't the video codecs, etc. it was the sound that caused the problem.

I doubt that that warrants a Nobel prize... lol...

but glad you found the problem and found a fix for it...

so with the above info of 'no sound' over HDMI, made DRM (HDCP) kick in, as it was deemed a 'copy' attempt...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back