Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DVD playback choppy

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharpie

Technical User
Jul 10, 2002
GB
Hi,
I've recently installed a DVD drive into my computer but when I play a film it is unwatchable due to stuttering playback. Would upgrading my graphics card help this? Any recommendations?
Currently: AMD K6-2 450, Gigabyte GA5AX, Voodoo3-2000, 128Mb RAM.
Thanks

Upgrading your video card may help, but you might want to try a few things first:

1) Make sure your DVD-ROM drive is using DMA (under properties in device manager)

2) Close all processes except Explorer and Systray (in Win9x) and turn off power management and your screensaver

3) Defrag the C:\ drive

Besides the video card, you could look into buying a "Hardware Decoder" card, which is specialized to handle DVD video on slower systems.
~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Unfortunately cdogg has it!, your system specifications are boarderline to run straight DVD software decoding and it is clearly struggling to keep up with the task.
Second hand hardware decoder cards are becoming easy to find as people upgrade to faster systems that don't need them anymore. Good hunting!! Martin Please let members know if there advice has helped any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back