Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DVD drive recognises video but not audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

iseeit

IS-IT--Management
Jun 17, 2001
GB
A Samsung DVD ROM SD606F desktop drive recognises dvd disks but not audio disks. System manager shows the device to be working properly. I can't see why it won't recognise audio disks. Where do I look to resolve this?

"[blue]drive recognises dvd disks but not audio disks[/blue]"

I've got a few questions for you:

1) What kind of audio discs: store-bought CD's or burned CD's?

2) Have all music CD's you've tried given you the same problem?

3) Are you exploring the CD in Windows Explorer and just not seeing anything, or does it give an error message when you click on the drive?

4) What version of Windows: 98, ME, XP?

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

Thanks for the responses so far.
In reply to cdogg's questions
1 occurs with store bought and burned CDs
2 applies to all audio discs I have tried
3 Windows explorer indicates no identity for audio disks but does for dvd. Also receive the error message D:\ is not accessible The device is not ready. This continues however long it is left but does not occur with dvd so the device functions ok must be a set up problem.
4. Windows 98SE

iseeit

i think there is a problem that need a bit of technical touch... take it to a service center.

samsung gives you good waranty.. so try to get it done...
i thnk head is the problem.. because it is supposed to recognise data for the drive to show the content .. though the disk is in if no data it is equivalent to inserting a blank disk in...

I doubt that you have a hardware problem as you have stated yourself, simply because it's reading DVD's just fine. I've seen this several times before, unfortunately though, it seems to be a different problem for me each time. Usually it has to do with the wrong ATAPI driver loaded for the drive, which might work for DVD's but not with music CD's. This mistake can be easily made when you swap out an older CD/DVD drive for a newer one without first removing the device from Device Manager.

Try This:
First go into Device Manager and remove the DVD-ROM entry. Shutdown the PC completely and disconnect the DVD-ROM from the IDE cable. Reboot the PC and check Device Manager to make sure all is well, except for the missing DVD-ROM. Shutdown again, reconnect the drive, and reboot.

If that doesn't help, you may want to make sure it's on the IDE channel all by itself. There have been some cases where sharing a cable with a legacy drive can cause problems.

Also, what about data CD's? Pop in a game or application CD and see if the drive picks it up.

Good Luck!
[thumbsup2]

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back