Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DVD/CDROM Drive Door Won't consistantly open??

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdecker

Technical User
Jun 16, 2003
US
Hey,

I have a TDK DVD/CDR Burner Drive, and it does this wierd thing where if I push the drive open button it wont open, the light will come on then turn off. Then I do the whole "paper clip in the small eject hole" thing and it will open and then close properly...However, then ....

I can only get it to open if i right click it and click eject in windows.

Its like once I boot up windows, I have to do the "paper clip" thing once to wake the drive up. Then eject will work. Also, if I let the computer sit for a long time idle, then it starts again and I have to "paper clip" it to wake it up again.

Any one have any idea as to why this is happening? TDK had me upgrade the firmware, no difference, I upgraded from win98 to winXP, no difference, I turned off windows Autoplay features for CDROM drives, no difference, i upgraded my VIA IDE BUS Controller, no difference.

The drive burns fine, its just aggrivating for the door to not open when i tell it too. Any ideas?

Specs:
Windows XP
512 SDRAM
AMD Athlon 1.2 GHz
TDK DVD+(4x)/CD-RW Burner
motherboard: Asus (not sure on model?)
Chipset: VIA

Sounds like a hardware problem with the drive itself to me.
Gears or tracks which open the door, or the switch used to activate it are failing. 4x drive is fairly old so could be wearing out...

If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back