Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DVD/CD not working, xp see's it but dont work! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuyc33

Technical User
Jan 30, 2009
in xp device manager my dvd/cd is listed with a yellow !! mark, when u look in MY COMPUTER my C: and A: drives are listed , but the CD drive has disapeared!!! can anyone help????

Also was there anything changed in the machine recently that may have caused it?

Was the machine moved around, maybe bumped that could have caused the CD to maybe move or its cable to dislodge from the connector?

Try removing it form Device Manager, and let Windows re-discover it. You may need to reboot.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

no nothing, pc hasnt been used for a few weeks either! i've checked lead/cables all are fine!!

...or it just plain wore our...happens all the time. Open the CD tray door and give it a few 1/2-second bursts of canned air. If that (and the FAQ above) does not work it may be time to cut your losses and think about a replacement. I would go either top-of-the line (Samsung 22X burner) or bottom of the line (generic or Lite-On). Depending on need/want, Blue Ray ROM & RW are getting close enough in price (to non-BD drives) to be considered if you have any use for the tech.

Tony

Users helping Users...

See if you can boot from it using a boot cd like the ultimate boot cd or a windows cd. That would prove that it's functioning OUTSIDE of Windows. If not, it's probably toast.

If it does work with a bootable CD, start looking at Windows fixes.

if its listed in Device Manager with " dvd/cd is listed with a yellow !!" mark....that is indication #1 that there is a problem. It is a moot point now, everyone has pretty much provided all the tricks to try. Granted...you can always try another IDE cable...these will fail as well sometimes. In the long run...CD\DVD drives are consumables...they will eventually fail.

jerry

SORTED!!!! I locatred a windows file on the xp disc, in relation to generic cd roms, installed it and cd works fine!! thanks 4 all your help

stu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back