Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DVD/CD drive opens when I put disc inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

violetta

Technical User
Feb 13, 2005
US
My DVD/CD drive opens and won't accept the CD I put inside, for several tries. After a while, it stays closed and reads the disc very well. I heard that it is an electronic component and I need to change the drive board, but I don't know how to do that or what to buy. I would like to fix it myself if possible. My computer is an HP Pavilion a6230n PC.

Unless this CD/DVD drive has some custom face-plate on it, what is wrong with a standard $25 - $30 replacement drive?

They are extremely cheap, now, and easier to change the whole drive than the board inside.

Jim

Even if it has a custom face plate, Chances are good that it is from a standard OEM, say like lite-on, or HLS. And you can transfer the faceplate to the new drive if it is from the same manufacturer. You can pull the drive out, get the drive make and model, say a Sony optiarc 7200, all Sony Optiarc 72XX series drives will have the same faceplate, and in a lot of cases, the drives from the same manufacturer will remain the same for several years. With Holiday sales going on, I've seen prices for DVD-RW drives as low as 16.99 USD, and BRD as low as 49.99 USD, so it makes very little sense to try to get a replacement board that will cost more, and if you are not 100% sure it will solve the problem, a new drive will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back