Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DVD Burner Restarts PC on shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmster66

IS-IT--Management
Dec 12, 2006
US
Hi all: I have a tough one. I have a pc with a problem I cannot get soved, so I am turning to the experts in this forum. I have added a DVD Burner (Panasonic SW 9587C) to a system that currently had a CD Burner. Meaning, of course One is master the other is a slave. The issue is right after the computer completely shuts down it immediately restarts. If I unplug either the power or IDE cable from the new burner, the issue goes away. The drive works flawlessly in Windows XP SP2.

I have tried all I can including switching slave and master, using only one drive (the dvd burner) changing BIOS power settings to assure ther are no auto starts or wakeups, removing hibernation. I also tried another IDE Cable. there are no firmware updates to this drive. Panasonic either does not answer or takes forever with suport.

This is driving me crazy as you could imagine.

The system is an AMD Athlon 64bit 2Ghz with an ABIT motherboard and 1Gb RAM. The system has never had any other issues since it was built.

Any suggestions/ideas? Thank you all for anything you can suggest.

It could be a defective power draw from the circuit board on the drive. I've seen that before where replacing the drive with the exact same make/model resolves the problem.

However, it could also mean a weak power supply. For sh*ts and giggles, disconnect as many devices as you can from the power supply, such as the floppy and other CD drive. If you don't see a change, then only the obvious is left:

1) Defective drive
2) Problem in Windows during shutdown with that drive attached

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

cdogg: thanx for this info. I kinda figured maybe some remote chance that the drive itself was the cause. I will be working on the machine again this weekend, try the suggestions you have here and post what I find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back