Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DVD burner drivers ? HP laptop 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

xit

Technical User
May 29, 2004
US
HP laptop G60 series running Vista Home Premium.
Dvd drive will not work, in Device Manager the device status says "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged". (code 19).

I have tried 2 other new drives with the same results, have tried this drive in another laptop, works fine. I have tried a few registry fixes but no luck. Other than this problem the laptop works just fine & I am not wanting to do a factory recovery, too much to lose.

Any ideas will be appreciated

xit

Have you uninstalled the drive in Device Manager followed by Find New Hardware? That resolves most drive errors. If not, I found this on another support site:
These instructions are for XP but it works in Vista too. The difference being how you get to the Command Promp and plus sign (+) vs. arrows.

1. Click Start.
2. Click Run.
3. In the "Open" field type REGEDIT.
4. Click OK.
5. Click "File" in the menu bar.
6. Click "Export" from the drop down menu this will open a new box.
7. Click the down arrow beside "Save In" and select "Local Disk (C".
8. In the File Name field type BACKUP.REG.
9. Verify that under the “Export Range”, that the radio button is beside "All".
10. Click Save.
11. Click the plus sign (+) beside HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
12. Click the plus sign (+) beside System.
13. Click the plus sign (+) beside CurrentControlSet.
14. Click the plus sign (+) beside Control.
15. Click the plus sign (+) beside Class.
16. In the left hand window pane click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} to select that key.
17. In the right hand window pane select the UpperFilters registry key and press the delete key on the keyboard.
18. Confirm with an OK.
19. In the right hand window pane select the LowerFilters registry key and press the delete key on the keyboard.
20. Confirm with an OK.
21. Click the "X" in the upper right hand corner of the Registry Editor window to close it.

Restart your Computer in order for the registry - fix to work.

Thanks Textron68, I have indeed tried that fix but the problem there is that only upper filters are displayed, no lower filters, so I am unable to delete them.

Thanks
xit

xit,
Did you go ahead and delete the Upper Filters and reboot?

If that doesn't help, try this:
1. Uninstall the drive in Device Manager
2. Shutdown and remove the drive from the laptop
3. With the drive removed, boot back into Vista
4. Shutdown again and reinstall the drive

The next thing I'd try is booting from the Windows DVD and running a repair.

~cdogg
"All generalizations are false, including this one." - Mark Twain
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

if you have deleted the whole key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

then proceed to uninstall the CONTROLLER CHANEL from the Device Manager, and reboot... you can check which Chanel the DVD is attached to it, by right clicking the device and selecting Properties, usually the second TAB, Optical drives are usually only DMA 2 speeds, anything faster than that usually is an HDD...

I would also suggest you update the ChipSet drivers, just in case...

as well as the LightScribe software, updated of course...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

I thank you all for the input provided. So exhusting all reasonable repair procedures, I opted to do an HP factory recovery after backing up all data. Time comsuming, but ended up with a problem free system.

xit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back