Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DVD Burner compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkshankarg

IS-IT--Management
Feb 9, 2005
AU
Hi Guys,

I have an old Pentium 166Mhz computer with 8GB harddrive and 96MB EDO RAM and Win98SE . I am using 2 CD-ROM Drives in the computer. I would like to replace one of the CD-ROM Drives with a 16x/8x Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Burner. Will the burner work with my old computer. I have checked out certain models, but they do not show any system requirements. Some actually show up system requirements as Pentium III 800 MHz and 128MB RAM.

I just want to burn my old movies onto it, I am not bothered about the performance of the drive.

I just want to know if the burner will work on the old computer of mine.

Thanks Guys.

To be perfectly honest I seriously doubt it will run.

Back when DVD players came out on PC I was working in PC retail and iirc the minimum req for a player was a 300mhz processor and it failed miserably on my old Cyrix 300 machine.

Personally I would wack the HD into a faster machine and burn um from there.

mkshankarg,

I also doubt that you could use a 16x DVD burner on a Pentium 166 machine.

Your least expensive upgrade route is probably to find a used system on eBay or at a local computer show, and get at least a Pentium III system.

I'm currently running a Celeron 1.1ghz system that I picked up about a year ago for $75, which was about the same price I later paid for a 16x DVD burner.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

I agree with the above. First of all due to slow drive access times, you'd be lucky to get anything higher than 2.4x burn speeds. And even if you could go higher, the laser would probably have to pause often to wait for the source.

In addition, you mention that you also want to convert "old movies". Therefore, you would also have to capture video. This PC is too slow and outdated to do any of that. I would heavily consider getting a faster PC, as there aren't any upgrades that'll make the current one fast enough.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back