Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dv7-4065dx Black Screen of Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

barnegattech

Technical User
Jun 19, 2004
US
HP dv7-4065dx laptop back screen of death. The caplock blinks and the f12(wireless light) stays solid. Laptop power one but that is it.

Replaced the motherboard with a new one (hope it's a new one) and the first time I power up, I have the same response. Pull the memory there are no beeps.
People on the internet are talking about baking the board or using a penny or some copper between the GPU and heat sink. But I would imagine I would get some video from the laptop the first time I booted it. Also an external monitor does not work as well.
Please any words of advise besides trash the laptop would be welcomed.

You replaced the motherboard, and you don't know if it was new? Anyways, don't bake anything and no shims, if it needs to have the chips reballed , send it to a repair center that can do that. Normally they will charge you 65-100 to repair the board. Also, check to make sure you locked the cpu socket, when you moved the cpu over.

You replaced the motherboard, and you don't know if it was new?
Probably more appropriate response: You replaced the motherboard without knowing it was the root cause? Ouch, but kudos to you for taking action.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back