Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DV Capture problem - file size exceeded :(( 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbrom

Programmer
Feb 21, 2001
US
Hi everyone!

When I capture a movie from my DV camera using FireWire, I can only capture about 7 min of video, and then I get the message that the file size was exceeded.

The size of a movie that is 7 min long is about 4GB...
Is that normal?

Can I capture the video with some sort of compression?

I am new to Premiere, so any help will be appreciated!

Dmitriy. <Dmitriy>
dbrom@crosswinds.net

Actually if you are using Windows 2000 and an NTFS partition there are no limits to file size. This is the environment I running in and everything's all good! So much for your Windows dis.
smiletiniest.gif

Yep, I am running Win2K, so there shouldn't be any problems with file size as far as I can see.

Can my problem be due to scratch disk settings or stuff like that?

Any ideas? <Dmitriy>
dbrom@crosswinds.net

If you are running Win2k and is crapping out at 4GB then that means that you probably have the hard drive (or partition) that the file is going to is set up as FAT32 and not NTFS. You must have the drive (or partition) formatted as NTFS to have the unlimited file size. You can always convert it from FAT32 to NTFS, but it is a one way trip.

Now we're getting closer :)

Exactly, I have the partitions set up as FAT32...
So I guess it's a fileystem limitation, not OS limitation.

Thanks KenKasmar, it was helpful.
I'll think about converting to NTFS.
<Dmitriy>
dbrom@crosswinds.net

Fair warning to all of you who may use NTFS... on the normal computer, there is a tradeoff... NTFS is more secure (stable), but it's also a tad bit slower. Slower captures can mean dropped frames. Just thought I'd throw my two bits down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back