Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

duplicating redundancy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

XoverIP

IS-IT--Management
Jul 6, 2000
US

Did u check the setting on the NIC card ?
Stop right here, I need to use that ATM machine!
I'm gunna go get the papers, get the papers.

Ixix CC, SWE, LCNCS-C, LNCS-OF ,3CSA, 3CNTS, 3CSE, NNCAS, NNCDS, ENA, ENA-PS, ENS, CCNA, CCDA, CCNP, CCDP

U? Gunna?
I think there are more basic problems to address before we get into a discussion on the perceived redundancy created by using an acronym as an adjective. (RAS Syndrome)

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

"I'm gunna go get the papers, get the papers."
Quote from a Scorsese movie, {it's funny to fans:)

Here's one from Thumper:
"If you can't say something nice... don't say nothing at all."
Yes, it's double-negative. Perhaps it is not more flawed than quote from the stuttering character referenced in the Scorsese film.

[wiki] The term "RAS syndrome" is itself intentionally redundant, and thus is an example of self-referential humor :). Happy Monday.

Ixix CC, SWE, LCNCS-C, LNCS-OF ,3CSA, 3CNTS, 3CSE, NNCAS, NNCDS, ENA, ENA-PS, ENS, CCNA, CCDA, CCNP, CCDP

Anyone know what my PIN number is?

Fee

"The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

Yes, the quote from Thumper is grammatically flawed. As far as 'gunna', I wouldn't have called you out on that had you cited the quote originally. But that doesn't make it any less improper.

In keeping with the spirit and intent of Making an Impression, I'm glad that you provided a couple of examples of what not to say. We can all learn from the mistakes of others.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Fee, it's 4 numerical digits. Didn't you write it on the back of your SIM module? ;-)

p5

(I may have etched it onto my bank card! Ha)

Fee

"The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

Hi,
Anybody want a pizza pie?

(unnecessarily redundant)

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Talk about a double negative, from Pink Floyd "We don't need no education." Always struck me as odd. [smile]

djj
The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

"Gunna" reminds me of the conversation I had with our foreign-exchange high schooler from Japan. I had always re-assured her that if there were phrases or words she didn't understand that she must come to have me or my wife explain them to her before she uses the phrase(s) herself. BTW, she called my wife and me "Mom and Dad":
Yuki: Dad, what mean "gottagogetta"?

I: Where did you hear it, Yuki?

Yuki: At school one of my friends said, "I gottagogetta book outta my locker."

(I then explained that "gottagogetta book" is a lazy, run-together way of saying "I've got to go get a book", which is more properly spoken with "I must go get a book". She nodded her head in understanding. Then she asked:)

Yuki: What mean b*** s***?

I: Let me borrow your English-Japanese dictionary so I can explain it.

(I first pointed to the Kanjii characters next to the English entry, "bull", then proceeded to the Kanjii characters for "feces". She blushed, demurely put her hand over her mouth and whispered:)

Yuki: Oh, very sorry, Dad

I: Don't worry, Yuki, it's not your fault...it's the people who say it that are being rude. Now you know why I suggest that you come to me or Mom before you repeat something that you don't know what it means.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm or risk. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

I don't think "We don't need no education." is odd, it just fits the whole ethos of the song. It's perfectly understandable even taking into account the grammatical mangling. An example of 'Estuary English' if you ask me.

The internet - allowing those who don't know what they're talking about to have their say.

Leave it to Santa to give us a BS story that isn't actually BS! :)

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Arrrr, mateys! Ye needs ta be preparin' yerselves fer Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Don't forget the hot water heater.

It's just a water heater...

Greg
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use. Kierkegaard

Few years ago I saw a guy trying to be the biggest Texas cowboy badazz he could be wearing a T-shirt that proudly stated "If you ain't a cowboy then you ain't s**t".

If you take the slang contraction "aint't" and expand it to what is probably "are not" then you have "If you are not a cowboy then you are not s**t".

I doubt the guy understood double negatives so I definitely know the guy had no idea that his T-shirt was implying "If you are a cowboy then you are s**t".

traingamer said:
Don't forget the hot water heater.

It's just a water heater...

Actually, it is a cold water heater, isn’t it? :)

Have fun.

---- Andy

Andy said:
Actually, it is a cold water heater, isn't it?
I thawed so !

[santa]Mufasa
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm or risk. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

XoverIP - I'm Curious, exactly how much of your signature is redundant or duplication

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

it isn't actually a double negative, as the phrase 'you ain't shit' means you are not a hot item, thus you are nothing...

PS: ain't ain't slang (no double negative here)...

this is what Webster has to say about it!

ain't
\??nt\
Definition of AIN'T
1: am not : are not : is not
2: have not : has not
3: do not : does not : did not —used in some varieties of Black English

Usage Discussion of AIN'T

Although widely disapproved as nonstandard and more common in the habitual speech of the less educated, ain't in senses 1 and 2 is flourishing in American English. It is used in both speech and writing to catch attention and to gain emphasis <the wackiness of movies, once so deliciously amusing, ain't funny anymore — Richard Schickel> <I am telling you—there ain't going to be any blackmail — R. M. Nixon>.

source: Merriam Webster Online Dictionary: AINT

PSS: why do Americans have such difficulty in using the word SHIT, it is a word nothing more nothing less, so why do they use '*' to block out certain letters?

--------------------------------------------------------

Santa,

it seems you seen too many Saturday morning cartoons, you are beginning to sound like Tweety bird...

---------------------------------------------------------

but my parting word for today are;

"It's déjà-vu all over again."

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Ben said:
PSS: why do Americans have such difficulty in using the word SHIT, it is a word nothing more nothing less, so why do they use '*' to block out certain letters?
There are certain words (that are &quot;just words&quot;) that we do not use in certain company, especially in &quot;polite&quot; company, due to their extreme profanity and/or the emotional charges that the words carry.

[santa]Mufasa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back