Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Duplicate shared folders - Why? And how do I fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kativs

Technical User
Sep 19, 2008
US
I have googled till I cannot google anymore on this. I'm sure there's a quick fix for this but I'm not seeing it.
We are using Windows XP Home edition. We are small and are trying to keep our shared folders properly.
We have several shared folders in our Network Places. Most created by 2 people (2 diff pc's). They work just fine however they keep duplicating themselves. We delete them but they show back up.
Here is basically what we have and what we've done:
We create a folder, enter the data inside the folder, it's kept on the PC where it was created. Then we click on properties and share that folder.
Now everyone can view or make changes to what is in that folder. (note, we have no need to create passwords etc))
Let's call this folder Pricing.
Now, when someone views this folder on their pc they see...."Pricing on Harry's computer".
We do not want all this info to appear. So, we renamed the folder strictly "PRICING" (no quotes). However, now other people see 2 folders, one called Pricing on Harry's computer and PRICING. Both folders work and can access/change info. However, we do not want to see all the little info...just strictly PRICING. So, we delete the long named folder but it keeps showing back up.
Why does it come back after deleting?
I'm sure it has something to do with renaming the folder.
If that's true, is it because we renamed it after it was shared?
The boss does not want to see alot of garbage on his pc...just simple names for easy access.
I'm shaking my head with this.
Can anyone offer assistance and tell us what we're doing wrong? I'm familiar with computers but please speak in dummy language and be specific.
Thanks much!

Just stop deleting and renaming, leave it alone and live with it.

It's not duplicating, it's the SAME folder named Pricing (you mentioned you tried to put something in one of them and then find it in the other, right?) - but since it is shared and can be seen from other computers, Windows specify for you, which computer it is physically on - Harry's Computer, or maye Steve's Computer. That's the Windows' way of handling Network Places. Just explain this to your boss.

As for the appearance of duplicating, it's probably just for a short time, until the other computers restart, or maybe just refresh is enough. The actual folder is one and the same.

Sorry for the very late response. I understand they are one and the same and we try not to touch the one that repeats or duplicates, however they just keep showing up.
Reboots, restarts, deleting the dupe...nothing stops the extra folder from showing up.
It's not a problem really, just aggravating and boss is particular about such things.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back