Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Duplicate records problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

iberger

Programmer
Jun 30, 2000
US
possibly you could assist in resolving a duplicate records problem with our database.<br><br>I think the record source in the report as shown below is the cause:<br><br>SELECT * FROM [Instrument Index] INNER JOIN [I-020A Pressure Gauge] ON [Instrument Index].[Data Sheet Ref] = [I-020A Pressure Gauge].[Data Sheet];<br><br>You see each table has 9 records, yet the report print yields 81 reports. <br><br>Table [Instrument Index] has many other records with different [Date Sheet Ref], and [I-20A..] has records which all are wanted, what's a technique. Can you email me at <A HREF="mailto:iberger@lg.com">iberger@lg.com</A>. <br>

Normally you get tableA records multiplied by Table B records when the tables are not related properly. Is the structure oand value in the two fields the same, and does Access allow you to draw the relationship in the query window?

I believe you may have duplicated entires in the related fields of either the [instrument index] or [ * pressure gauge] tables. When you try and relate two tables where one has say two records in the related field. Access doesn't know which duplicated record to relate the look up record with. So it relates them to both. <br><br>Try and make the related fields in both tables set with &quot;No duplicates&quot; in the Table design view. If A97 allows you to save without errors then I can't help I'm sorry.<br><br>Davo

Thanks for your answers (Elizabeth and Davo); I will try your suggestions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back