Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

duplicate netbios names

Status
Not open for further replies.

StanPulsar

Technical User
Jul 30, 2004
FR
hi !
I have a small home network: (NO domain)
win2Ksp4, 192.168.0.10 name: MYNAME part of WORKGROUP
win2Ksp4, 192.168.0.11 name: MYWIFESNAME part of WORKGROUP
winXPhome, 192.168.0.13 name: LAPTOP part of "MYSOCIETYSNAME"

Everything plugged to a router/switch (DHCP server).
The two first IPs are reserved on the DHCP, due to port forwarding/remote control.
No problems with the XP laptop. Let's get to the 2K desktops.

Whenever I boot one of them when the other is already in use, I get the error in the event manager:
source: NetBT - ID:4319
"A duplicate name has been found... data is IP address... run nbtstat -n ...."

nbtstat on MYNAME shows 2 entries for MYNAME, and the error refers to xxx.11 IP address (my wife's)
nbtstat on MYWIFESNAME shows 2 entries for MYWIFESNAME, and the error refers to xxx.10 IP address (mine)

well, this is not an issue I couldn't live with, but being curious about these things, I cannot understand where the problem lies.
Since MYNAME is definitely different from MYWIFESNAME, how comes each of these names shows twice on both computers ????

I am no networking expert, so thanks for any clue about this....

The two first IPs are reserved on the DHCP, due to port forwarding/remote control.
My guess is the problem lies in here. What does ipconfig /all show on the two w2k desktops show? Have you tried firing them up without having the ip's reserved? Good luck.

Click here to learn How to help with tsunami relief... Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.
Don't forget to shop @ theTek-Tips Store

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back