Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Duplicate name ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lor

Technical User
Feb 5, 2002
CA
I have a problem using NetWorker v6.0.2 build 251 running on HPUX 11.00

In a script, I force tapes into recycle mode using "nsrmm -y -orecyclable volume_name" command.
Tapes are then marked as Eligible for recycling. So far so good.
Problem is that "from time to time" when a backup needs one of such tape, it sees it as Recyclable, loads into the jukebox but then erors with a "Duplicate name" error.

More or less, I end up with 2 tapes in the same pool, with the same label (but 2 distinct volume IDs) whereas ofr other media everything is fine.

What is the root problem ?

Now,
Instead of relying on NetWorker automatical recycling, as a workaroung, I have tried to "fake" recycling the following way.
Prior to backups, a script looks for tapes Eligible for recycling and then, first delete them (nsrmm -d ) then relabel them (with same name, same pool...).

It doesn't correct the issue and then again "from time to time" some volumes would appear twice in media database.

At one point I could suspect a "media database corruption" but I have exactly the same problem on 2 distinct NetWorker servers
and "nsrck and nsrim -X" media database and index doesn't correct anything.

Any help appreciated.

Hi,

Looks like a Networker limitation/bug - what is called "racing conditions" in the process of nsrim working with the media DB.
Possibly the volnames seem to be update later then the volid ... "Long live king Moshiach !"

I've run into this problem too. I match volid's to the barcode label. Ocassionally, I get a tape with two different barcode labels but the same volid. When this happens, I take both barcodes out of the rotation until they have expired in the media database. I haven't found another way to fix this problem.

If it's possible, try to skip the particular label that you're having a problem with.

Hi,

after you force tapes into recycle mode, try to launch a nsrim -X to force media database to be cleaned..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back