Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

duplicate name on network while theres only one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phytos

Technical User
Oct 20, 2002
CY
Hi there, i ran into a problem that i cant find any solution to it. I installed on my server 2 copies of Windows 2000 Server with service pack 2. The 1st installation of the server will be my main and the second installation will be my back-up if the 1st one has problems. when i start the server and choose to boot into the main one, at the login screen i get duplicate name exists on the network, the same thing does if i boot with the alternate one. i tried changing the server name of the alternate one and still gives me the msg that theres a duplicate name. Any ideas what i did wrong and how to fix it?
Thanks
Phytos

I recently had a problem similar to this where WINS had an entry for a server that it wouldn't lose. After manually deleting the entry, I was able to add the server back to the domain with no more problems

Do you have two NIC's in the server? I found if you disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP for one NIC, it works properly.

Cryptospy

It only has 1 NIC installed which is a 16/4 Token Ring. I cant try any of the solutions yet till monday. It was another thing, when i went into network properties and uncheck the NetBui protocol from the NIC and then check it back it will give me the duplicate name again.

Have you checked the rest of the Network for a duplicate name. Maybe a client has a duplicate name. If a client has even a workgroup name the same as your server it will see it as a duplicate name.

It may have nothing to do with the 2 copies you installed but is related to another machine on the network.

DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back