Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Duplicate Jobs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chazdonna

IS-IT--Management
Jul 10, 2003
US
First, I am learning this as most via OJT, so your tips and comments have been invaluable. Thank you a lot.

Second, having an issue that I haven't seen before and can't find information on, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Background - running 5.0 mp4 on a 2003 server on a windows network that backs up, Exchange, NT4.0, 2000 server, 2003 server, and a couple of XP machines with one library, a master/media server and one media server. Last maintenance window, I added the media server, deleted the 35+ policies, and created 7 new policies.

Previously every client and every drive had its own policy. I simplified the policies by having multiple clients and selecting all local drives. The clients are equally distributed between the master and media server. I do a diferrential back up M-Sat and a full on Sun.

Problem - I will get 2-3 differential back ups of the same local drive during the same back up period, which eats up tapes and causes other jobs to fail due to lack of media. Example, today my main file server had 2 systems states, 3 C: drives, & 3 D: drives (all successful), then a C: drive that failed due to lack of media. I have made sure that there is no duplication in the policies.

Two questions -

Why would it be backing up local drives multiple times?

If the differential was successful, the marker should be gone, so why would it read & back it up again?

Thanks again for the help, Chaz

I've seen similar behavior and for me it was corrupt policies. When I deleted the policies and then recreated them it took care of the issue.

I was told by Veritas not to copy policies because this could cause corruption.

Another possibility is the STREAMS files. My master server is unix so I'll give you that path: /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/client_name/STREAMS
This file can be deleted and it will be recreated when the next backup runs.

Chaz,

Check you polcy's backup window and also the frequency, could be your window is larger than the frequency...a recipe for repeats.

JdS

I second Chaz's repply. As a rule of thumb we set our frequency to be the same or greater than our start window. I also make sure that the fequency is a multiple or fraction of a 24 hour time period to avoid schedule creep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back