Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Duplicate IP address message

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
I've got a customer that has only three devices on her network and I'm getting this error from her desktop. She has a Windows 7 desktop, a printer and a cell phone.

It just started happening. So, I put the printer on a static IP address below the DHCP scope last week but it happened again. Wondering if the older Netgear router is flaking out. Access to the internet keeps working after the message, so it's a bit like a phantom message. I don't really believe there's an IP address conflict.

What else to do? Swap out the router with a temporary unit or make the desktop a static IP address.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Sorry that this is pretty vague but a colleague had that message after installing VirtualBox. The message was actually pertaining to the 'VirtualBox Host-Only Network', which isn't real. He ended up ignoring it, which doesn't help you, but hopefully it might give you some ideas about where to look next.

Nelviticus

So, my logic is that with one device having a static IP address outside the DHCP range, thus theoretically taking it out of the picture as the source of the conflict, it seems ridiculous that a single computer and a single smart phone would get the same IP address if the router is functioning properly.

Here's a good read:

It doesn't list every possibility, but it should get the brain to stir up some ideas. If the Win7 desktop is actually a laptop, then it could have something to do with hibernation as the article mentions. Otherwise, my bet is on a flaky router or multiple wireless access points that have DHCP enabled.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Win7 desktop is actually a DESKTOP.
No other wireless access points other than the one in the router.
You can't get a simpler setup than this. That's why I was postulating that it's the router. I updated the router firmware to the latest on the last visit.
Desktop is set to NOT sleep or hibernate.

Pending what the customer wants to do, I'll put in one of my vintage WRT54G routers as a test.

Also it wouldn't hurt to change the default DHCP range. If it starts at 192.168.1.100 for example, make it start at 192.168.1.150 as a test. Log into the router and check the DHCP table to see what other devices are listed. Should show you the conflicting device in there at least.

I made it 20-250 last time there. There was no conflicting device listed and no other device listed other than the three.

Interesting. Sounding more and more like the router then. Good luck with that! [wink]

Ok, I don't want to drag this out like it's a major deal. If the customer wants to try to return the router, she can do that OR I can install my temporary router. Not much else to do other than set all devices to static.

I would set the workstation on static and limit the pool to 5 far away from the 2 static devices.

Wonder if angry_ip would get any wierd responses from the router.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

You might want to try this registry hack:
[ul]
[li]HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters[/li]
[li]Create a new DWORD called ArpRetryCount[/li]
[li]Set the value to 0[/li]
[/ul]
[ul]
[li]Reboot[/li]
[/ul]

You may need to reset the TCP/IP stack as well: NetSh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt (followed by a reboot and then the reg hack outlined above)

For an outline/explanation of the (possible) issue, try googling for 'gratuitous ARP'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back