Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

duplicate host name

Status
Not open for further replies.

lacasa

MIS
Jan 16, 2003
US
My computer is XP pro on Windows 2003 domain. DC is named Pluto. I have one more DC named Jupiter.

When I try to add an ODBC data source System DSN to an SQL server and click on the Server selection drop down arrow, it shows two instances of Pluto(location of SQL Desktop). Regardless of which one I select it is unable to connect. When I try to do the same thing on other XP computers only one Pluto shows up and I can successfully create a connection.

I feel it is a DNS problem on my local machine. I have flushed DNS.

Thanks.

Doesnt sound like a DNS problem, clearing the cache on your local machine will do just that and in the future when you attempt to find a resource on the network that hasnt already been cached it will query your DNS servers (sounds like your DCs) and then cache that record. (if you want you could clear the records that have been cached on your DNS server with dnscmd /clearcache but 95% sure its not necessary), You can go ahead and run nslookup to verify that your dns records are correct or just ping it by name if you want. To kick the point home, if your other machines can find the box with this SQL instance, and every one of them is using the same primary dns server, then you can check that one off the list of potential problems..

If you still think its something goofy with name resolution you can check your local hosts file for an entry with that name.

(If I had to guess, I would say firewall)

HTH

Cory

Thanks.

I had tried the above. Other computers can find it, but mine can't. I use this one to Remote Desktop into Server, we use Symantec Antivirus Corporate 10, use a Sonicwall TZ170 to get outside to WAN, and I turned off Windows Firewall on my computer. So if any of this raises a flag please let me know.

And just for your information I get a SQL error 17 - SQL Server does not exist or access is denied message.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back