Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Duplicate files in the Setup Package

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndalli

Programmer
Nov 6, 1999
MT
Hi,

I created a Setup Package with VB and found that the final result is a folder which is extremely large. When I checked the files in the folder I noticed that there are a number of files being stored both in the CAB files but also left uncompressed in the folder.

Why does VB need to have both the files in the CAB and not compressed?

Can I do with just one of the files?

Many thanks in advance

If you are concerned about the 'Support' folder, don't be. It is not necessary to install your app and required files. No need to distribute it. I believe that it is just a copy of the files placed in the .cab file. I just use it to confirm and check what has been included.

All you need is the Setup.exe, the .cab file and the setup.lst file.

zemp

>just a copy of the files placed in the .cab file

Not just a copy. It comes with a nice batch file that will reconstruct your whole setup program from the constituent files. You might ask why this is of any use.

Well, it means that you can quickly create a new distribution - without having to use the P&D wizard - if you make minor changes (e.g you have a text .ini file that you modify in Notepad, or a resource file that you add a new resource to with the resource compiler: just drop the new versions of these files into the Support folder, then run the batch file. Bingo, new distribution ready to go)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back